Since 1913 EF Marburger has furnished flooring for thousands of schools, hospitals, churches, historic buildings, athletic facilities, universities, corporate offices, as well as some of Indianapolis’ most notable residences.
EF Marburger Fine Flooring was founded by Eli Franklin Marburger in 1913. The company’s first store opened at 1021 North Illinois Street, Indianapolis, under the name of Guarantee Rug and Carpet Company.
Eli Marburger’s son, Donald K. Marburger, joined the firm in 1923. In 1930, the firm expanded its operation and erected a building at 1819 North Meridian Street. Catering to the desire of its growing clientele, they soon added a high-end home furnishings division. As industry began to flourish, so did Marburger’s commercial flooring business. In l950 they installed the world’s largest greaseproof industrial floor system for Western Electric Company in Indianapolis. Ten years later they duplicated the order for the Western Electric plant at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. These installations consisted of nearly two million square feet of composition flooring.
Donald K. Marburger’s son, Ronald Ross Marburger, joined the firm in l962. In l967 the firm expanded again, moving their headquarters to 2605 E. 55th Place. At this time, their focus was on commercial, industrial, and institutional flooring projects. Technology was rapidly advancing which permitted many innovative and highly specialized products to become available for the commercial market.
In l968, after years of furnishing and installing resilient floors in educational facilities, Marburger designed, engineered, and installed the carpet for Indiana’s first “open classroom concept” prototype. They installed over 100,000 square feet of ultra high density carpet in the corridors and classrooms at Greenbriar Elementary School. This revolutionary new specification became the model for future school floor finishes, including those being designed today.
After the retirement of his father In l979, Ronald Ross Marburger became the President of EF Marburger Fine Flooring.
Eli Franklin Marburger
Donald K. Marburger
Ronald R. Marburger
In l988, his oldest daughter, Kimberly K Marburger, joined the firm as a project Manager. In 1990 EF Marburger constructed its current 28,000 square foot facility at 9999 Allisonville Road. This structure was honored as one of Indianapolis’ top development projects by the Metropolitan Development Commission and the American Institute of Architects. It also earned an ASID Excellence in Design Award. The showroom has been featured in several trade and design publications. With three additions to the showroom and warehouse spaces, the EF Marburger facility will boast nearly 50,000 square feet.
In 2001, Ron’s youngest daughter, Kelly Marburger Novak joined the firm as project manager and design consultant. She became the Residential Sales Manager in 2004.
What does the future hold for EF Marburger Fine Flooring? President, Ron Marburger, anticipates and embraces continued growth while striving to maintain customer satisfaction. “If we listen to and educate our clients, provide them with the best possible product, at a fair price, and stay ahead of the future in technology and design, we will pave the way for the fifth generation to join this firm.”